The St Brigid's School site originally opened as St Joseph’s School in 1929 by the Dominican Sisters from North Adelaide. In 1947, the Dominican Sisters were replaced by the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (OLSH), and in 1948 the school took the St Brigid’s name.
Our patron saint is St Brigid, a well-known Irish saint in the 5th century, who started a religious community for both men and women in Ireland and devoted her life to teaching, writing and good works. She was consecrated abbess of her community. In 1954, a new Parish Church was built adjacent to the school and also given the name St Brigid’s.
The Sisters of OLSH administered the school until 1989, when a lay principal was appointed. The values and ideals developed by the OLSH sisters remain a vital part of our educational and religious vision, and the school maintains a close connection with other schools in the area established by the OLSH sisters.